Sunday, March 13, 2016

The Cookbook Experiment: Sweet and Sour Franks

Tonight's cookbook experiment is another recipe from Dick John. He has a lot of recipes in this book and I am enjoying finding them and preparing them. He is such a very special person.

Sweet and Sour Franks by Dick John

(1) onion, chopped
(1) 8 ounce can tomato sauce
(1) tablespoon soy sauce
(1) bell pepper, sliced
(1) tablespoon oil
(1) clove garlic
(2) tablespoons vinegar
(1) 20 ounce can pineapple chunks
(2) tablespoons brown sugar

Saute onion and garlic in oil.  Add tomato sauce, vinegar and soy sauce.  Stir in pineapple and bring to a boil.  Then add small cocktail wieners and simmer  for 5 minutes.  Add bell pepper and sugar and cook for an additional 5 - 10 minutes. Serve with cocktail picks and French bread.

My take-a-ways for this recipe:

  • The recipe did not say how long to saute the onion and whether it was just until translucent or until caramelized.  I cooked them until they were translucent.
  • I was not sure if I was supposed to add the juice from the pineapple into the sauce. I just dumped the whole thing in, without draining it.
  • My family did not care for the large size of pineapple chunks. Next time I would use crushed pineapple.
  • I did not like the green pepper at the end. I would have chopped it and sauteed it with the onion and garlic.
  • Overall it was a good recipe and it kept the men happy that we had meat on the table.
  • Thanks Mr. John!

No comments:

Post a Comment