Sunday, March 13, 2016

The Cookbook Experiment: Cheesy Zucchini Coins

The second of tonight's experiment is a recipe by a very special lady: Cindy Carrothers. She is one of the bravest persons that I know. I love the entire family. They are pretty amazing.

Cheesy Zucchini Coins by Cindy Carrothers

(1/2) cup Italian seasoned bread crumbs
(3) tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
(1/4) teaspoon pepper
(3) cups thinly sliced zucchini
(2) large egg whites, whisked
cooking spray

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Combine first 3 ingredients, stir well.  Dip the zucchini slices in egg whites; dredge in bread crumb mixture. Place zucchini in a single layer on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Spray top of zucchini with cooking spray.  Bake for 20 minutes. Turn zucchini over, bake 15 more minutes or until outside is crispy and browned.

My take-a-ways for this recipe:

  • One medium to large sized zucchini will be plenty for this recipe.
  • I was a little apprehensive about only using the egg white. After tasting the recipe I understand why. I think the egg yolk would have added an unpleasant taste.
  • I am not sure if my oven temperature is off, but I don't think I would have waited 20 minutes before flipping the coins over. They did not take the full cooking time to brown. 
  • I am leery of pre-grated Parmesan in the store ever since that article came out about how the majority of manufacturer's add wood pulp to theirs.  I found a wonderful Parmesan made by 4C that is 100% Parmesan and does not need refrigeration until you open the jar.
  • These were incredibly delicious! The crunch was perfect and would definitely (for me) would be a great substitute for potato chips.
  • Thanks Cindy! These were wonderful.

No comments:

Post a Comment