Monday, March 14, 2016

The Cookbook Experiment: Pinto Bean Casserole

Tonight's cookbook experiment is another good one from our now CANCER-FREE Cindy Carrothers. How awesome is that? Congratulations Cindy!

Pinto Bean Casserole by Cindy Carrothers

(1 1/2) cups freshly cooked pinto beans, drained
(1/2) cup diced green pepper
(2) scallions, minced
(1) teaspoon olive oil
(2/3) cup diced tomatoes
(1) teaspoon chili powder
(1/2) teaspoon dried oregano
(1/2) teaspoon ground coriander
(2) eggs, whisked
(1/4) cup cheddar cheese

In a large saucepan over medium heat, saute green pepper and minced scallions in olive oil for 5 minutes, or until soft. Stir in the drained pinto beans, tomatoes, chili powder, oregano and coriander. Cook stirring constantly for 2 minutes. Remove heat and stir in the whisked eggs.  Spray casserole dish with cooking spray. Add the bean mixture and spread evenly. Cover with cheese. Bake at 375 degrees for 20 minutes or until filling is set.
I forgot to take a picture before I served it!!
Here it is on the plate with sauteed zucchini and some garlic bread.

My take-a-ways for this recipe:

  • I did not have shallots so I used a regular white onion. I figured it would be okay because I love them with pinto beans anyway.
  • I was naughty and instead of regular chili-powder I used Chipotle chili-powder. Why was this naughty? I did not warn my daughter about it! She cannot handle a lot of spice. I was surprised when she ate hers and did not complain. I asked her about it and she said it was "a little spicy" and that is when I confessed. Next time that I make it, I would most likely not add the Chipotle but use regular chili powder. It was too spicy for me; it is a rare thing that she can handle spicy and I can't. 
  • Do not neglect to add the ground coriander. The blend of spices with this dish was simply amazing.
  • I actually forgot to grab a tomato at the store. I substituted a bit of V-8 juice. I am not really sure how much. I just added until I thought it looked right (no help, huh? Sorry!).
  • Don't forget to temper the eggs! I added some of the pinto bean mixture a little at a time to the whisked eggs so they would not accidentally scramble.
  • Cindy, thank you for this recipe! It was really good and definitely will be added to our regular menu.

No comments:

Post a Comment