Saturday, March 12, 2016

The Cookbook Experiment: Amish Layered Dinner

Tonight's cookbook experiment also included this dish by Dick John. Mr. John is very important to me. He was a good friend of my father's and he is married to a very sweet lady, Pat John (one of her recipes is posted previously and it is to die for!).

Amish Layered Dinner by Dick John

(2) cups hamburger (uncooked)
(2) cups sliced raw potatoes
(2) cups chopped celery
(1/2) cup diced onions
(2) teaspoons of salt
(1/4) teaspoon of pepper
(1) cup diced green peppers
(2) cups canned tomatoes
(1) onion, thinly sliced (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a casserole dish. Sprinkle each layer with salt and pepper before adding the next layer. Place potatoes in the bottom of the casserole dish. Add a layer of celery. Add layer of hamburger. Add the layer of onions. Add the green pepper. Pour the tomatoes over the mixture. Lay onion slices on top, if desired. Bake for 2 hours, covering with foil after about one hour.
My take-a-ways for this recipe:

  • I should have used very low fat hamburger. I did not think about it and it made the casserole a little bit greasy (okay, a lot greasy)
  • I peeled and sliced about five potatoes to equal the 2 cups
  • I did not measure the salt and pepper...I confess. I just liberally used them both (the pepper more than the salt actually)
  • At the store today I did not pick up any canned tomatoes because I thought I had some at home. Nope! I used some canned whole Roma tomatoes that I roughly tore apart over the top of the casserole.
  • I was really, really not sure how this was going to turn out, especially when what seemed like backward to me to put the aluminum foil on AFTER it had baked an hour. I did it, but I thought that was definitely different.
  • This was tasty. I loved the way the celery just seemed to melt away and you would have never known they were in there if you did not see it being fixed.
  • The onions were as equally amazing, of course I am an onion fan. They were so tasty.
  • Thanks Mr. John. This was a hearty meal for my boys!! I love you! 

No comments:

Post a Comment