Sunday, March 6, 2016

The Cookbook Experiment: Scalloped Potatoes


The compliment to my meatloaf experience tonight is Scalloped Potatoes by Mary Grode.  Mary was the mother of one of my heroes of faith: Judy Mastros. Judy is an amazing woman so I know her mother was amazing too. She is also very smart because this recipe is delicious!

Scalloped Potatoes

(1) pound potatoes, about 3 medium
(2) tablespoons butter
(2) tablespoons flour
(1/2) teaspoon salt
(1/8) teaspoon pepper
(1 1/2) cups milk
(2) tablespoons onion
(1) teaspoon butter

Peel and slice potatoes thin.  Grease a 1 quart baking dish. Heat 2 tablespoons of butter over low heat until melted.  Blend in flour, salt and pepper. Cook over low heat stirring constantly, until mixture is smooth and bubbly. Remove from heat. Stir in milk. Heat to boiling constantly.  Boil and stir 1 minute.  Layer 1/2 of the potatoes, put the onions on top and 1/2 of the sauce. Top with remaining potatoes and sauce.  Dot with the 1 teaspoon of butter. Cover and cook at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Uncover and cook 35 minutes.


My take-a-ways for this recipe:

  • I would use room temperature when making the sauce. I actually used one 12 ounce can of evaporated milk. I knew the sauce was done when I could draw a line down the spoon and the sauce did not come back together (see picture above).
  • Of course, I used Kerrygold butter! It's the best.
  • This was the most incredible recipe. The sauce was delicious, I could have eaten straight out of the pot without bothering to put it on the potatoes.
  • Make this! You will love it! Thanks Mrs. Grode.  

No comments:

Post a Comment