Monday, March 7, 2016

The Cookbook Experiment: PJ's Sweet Potato Souffle

Tonight's cookbook experiment was an over-load of potatoes! I know I shouldn't have but I did it! I made a hash brown casserole and this sweet potato one. Carbs, carbs, carbs! Tonight I just did not care.

This recipe is from an amazing woman named Pat John. She is another one of my true heroes of faith and the sweetest woman you will ever meet. I love her and her husband as if they were my own parents. I was excited to try this recipe.

PJ's Sweet Potato Souffle

(4) cups cooked sweet potatoes
(1/4) cup butter, melted
(1/2) teaspoon vanilla
(2) eggs, lightly beaten
(1/2) cup evaporated milk
(3/4) cup of sugar
Dash of salt

Cream potatoes and add melted butter, vanilla, eggs, milk, sugar and salt. Mix well. Place in 3 quart casserole dish, greased!

Topping:
(1) cup brown sugar
(1/2) cup flour
(1/3) cup melted butter
(1) cup chopped pecans

Mix sugar and flour. Pour melted butter over mixture and continue to mix until lumpy. Add nuts. Sprinkle topping over sweet potatoes. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.

My take-a-ways for this recipe:

  • I used a large can of drained Bruce's sweet potatoes (yep, I cheated!)
  • I did not have any evaporated milk on hand so I used the whole milk I had in my refrigerator.
  • I used walnuts in lieu of pecans because that is what I had in my cupboard.
  • I did not have a 3 quart casserole dish so I used my 9" x 13" cake pan
  • YOU MUST MAKE THIS!!! It is divine! I wanted to eat it ALL by myself and not share!
  • Thanks Mrs. John! 

No comments:

Post a Comment