Monday, March 7, 2016

The Cookbook Experiment: Hash Brown Casserole

Tonight's recipe is another gem from Sharon Giambrone.  She is a most amazing woman and I love her dearly. Her faith in God is an incredible thing to witness. Tonight I made an overload of potatoes. I know I should not have but I did it anyway. It was tasty and worth it!

Hash Brown Casserole

(1) 32 ounce frozen hash browns, thawed
(3/4) cup butter, melted
(1/2) cup chopped onion*
(1) 10 3/4 ounce can cream of chicken soup
(1) 8 ounce carton sour cream
(1) cup shredded cheddar cheese
(2) cups cornflakes, crushed

Combine potatoes, 1/2 cup butter, onion, soup, sour cream and cheese; stir well. Spoon into 13" x 9" x 2" casserole dish. Stir remaining butter into crushed cereal. Sprinkle over potato mixture. Bake at 350 degrees for 50 minutes. *May substitute green onions for yellow onion. Add 1-2 cups cubed ham, if desired.

My take-a-ways for this recipe:

  • I did not have any cornflakes but I made it anyway. It was not the smartest decision as the dish lacked crunch without it. It was still  yummy but it did need the crunch.
  • I did not realize the hash browns had to be thawed first. Me and my last minute dinner planning! Not to worry, I threw them in a big bowl and defrosted them in the microwave.
  • The butter is very important in this dish so naturally I used Kerrygold. I am biased. What can I say?
  • Thank you Sharon for another wonderful recipe! It will definitely be tried again, this time correctly with the cornflakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment