Sunday, March 6, 2016

The Cookbook Experiment: Italian Meat Loaf

Tonight's cookbook experiment is once again courtesy of Doris Baynes. To be honest, I was not too sure about the recipe as my husband is pretty particular about his meatloaf. I decided to go ahead and give it a try as it sounded a lot different from any meatloaf I have ever made.

Italian Meat Loaf by Doris Baynes

( 1 1/2) pounds lean ground beef
(1) small onion, chopped
(1/4) teaspoon garlic powder
(1) egg
(1) teaspoon oregano
(1/4) teaspoon pepper
(1) cup tomato sauce
(1) 8 ounce package grated Monterrey Jack cheese

In a large bowl mix the ground beef, onions, garlic, egg, oregano and pepper. Spoon half the mixture into a loaf pan, then add 2/3 of the cheese and 1/2 the tomato sauce. Add remaining beef mixture to pan. Top with remaining tomato sauce and remaining cheese. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 1 1/2 hours.


My take-a-ways for this recipe:


  • I did not use a loaf pan. I did not have 1 1/2 hours for the meatloaf to cook. I had a hungry husband so I put it in my 9" x 13" cake pan and made it not so thick so it would cook faster. It took approximately 45 minutes to finish. The meatloaf fell apart easily but that is probably because I did not use a loaf pan.
  • As I am never allowed to put ketchup on top of my recipe of meatloaf I was a little bit worried about how this one would be received. As I suspected, my husband declared it "too tomatoey" if that is even a word.
  • I am enjoying all of Doris' recipes. She seems to have been a very smart lady. Thanks Doris!

No comments:

Post a Comment