Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Scraps from the Crack sticks!

I really enjoy making the Crack sticks.  The Shabbychicks are some AWESOME LADIES! But after making the Crack sticks I was leftover with the crusts from all that white bread.  The first time I made them, I fed the leftover crusts to the ducks in the neighborhood.  However, the ducks have disappeared! I have no idea where they went! It's not winter! I wonder if they flew North for some cooler weather?

The frugal mommy in me would not allow me to just throw them away again.  As I was making Italian pasta for dinner, I decided to turn those crusts into croutons.
I took all of these lovely crusties and cut them into squares and threw them back in the bowl. Next went in:

(1) tablespoon onion powder
(1) tablespoon garlic powder
(1) tablespoon dried basil
(1) stick of butter

Throw in the spices and mix around with the bread squares.  Melt the butter and pour over the squares and mix well.  Spread on a sheet pan and bake in the oven at 350 until dry.  Watch carefully so it does not burn.
I added these to the top of my pasta dish with a little Parmesan.  It was really yummy! And no wasted bread!!

No comments:

Post a Comment