Saturday, June 29, 2013

Fried Okra from scratch

My sweetheart loves his fried okra. I am ashamed to say I usually just buy the pre-breaded kind from Food Lion but this time I decided to suck it up and buy it fresh and do it myself.  I started with fresh okra pods.
I chopped the ends off and discarded them and then chopped the pods into about 1/4" slices.

Next I broke two eggs into a bowl and beat them (they were naughty and deserved a good beating!).
I added the sliced okra and let them soak up the egg for about 10 minutes.

While the okra was soaking I got my hot grease ready.  I used shortening instead of vegetable oil. I figured if I was going to fry something, I should do it right.

When the oil was ready I transferred the okra out of the egg into a mixture of 1 cup of corn meal mixed with garlic powder, onion powder and a healthy dose of cayenne pepper.

Next I dropped (carefully) the okra into the hot shortening and let it fry until golden brown.



When they were finished I transferred them onto a plate with paper towels to drain and sprinkled with some sea salt.  My husband and son enjoyed them.

Overall it was a success and was actually more enjoyable than pulling them frozen from a  bag.  I guess I will never by pre-made ones again!

No comments:

Post a Comment