Monday, June 24, 2013

Dinner in the real world....

I don't know about you, but I don't always believe the TV chefs understand the realities of families on a budget. They often assume we automatically keep certain ingredients at the ready all the time.  The truth is, we don't have room for all of that in our budgets.

Tonight was a prime example of "what in the world do I do for dinner?" without having to go to the grocery store and spend more money. I am making chicken more often as I am trying to trim down the amount of red meat my family consumes.  Poking around my kitchen and I decided I had just about everything I needed to make Chicken with gravy over biscuits.

I put my frozen chicken breasts on to boil but I knew that without their skin the broth would not be quite flavorful enough.  I did not get any more chicken broth when I went shopping.  It is a little bit of a luxury item as it can be costly (and I really don't like to use any brand other than Swanson).  It was time to improvise.  I had a large can of Campbell's chicken and noodle soup.  Instead of opening it the normal way, I poked two holes in the top of the can and drained the liquid into a pot.  I put it on the stove with a stick of butter (you are not really surprised, are you?).  I let that come to a boil while boiling my chicken breasts in a different pot.  I added about a cup of milk to the gravy pot. Next I put about 1/4 cup of cornstarch in the bottom of a coffee cup and added about a half cup of hot chicken broth to it and stirred it up until smooth.  I added this to my gravy pot to thicken.  Various spices were sprinkled in, including garlic powder, onion powder, Mrs. Dash table blend and salt and pepper.  I added about a cup of the chicken broth from the chicken boiling on the stove as well.

I put some biscuits in the oven (yes, from a can, I really do not have time to make them from scratch unless I have a whole lot of time or it is a really special occasion).  After they came out, onto a plate, shredded some of the boiled chicken over it and then poured the chicken gravy over it.  The result was a very happy husband and son.  That's my boys! They love their meat and gravy.

No, I did not fix an veggies tonight. This was a mad dash dinner and it is what it is.  Dog-gone gravy goodness!

As for staples in my kitchen? Here is a list of things that I cannot do without:
1. frozen chicken in the bag as I don't always have money during the week to go buy it fresh
2. butter - plain and simple, can't do without it
3. fresh garlic cloves
4. russet potatoes
5. rice ( I prefer white but I am slowly working my way into using brown)
6. eggs ( a must in my house, trying to get my sweet husband to gain weight)
7. cheese (the type varies as my family goes through stages of what they prefer, currently we are on a provolone run)
8. milk - we use 2%
9. wheat bread
10.  ice cream.....another must have for the husband :o)

What do you keep in your kitchen as must haves?

No comments:

Post a Comment