Wednesday, November 21, 2012

The Thanksgiving Marathon begins

I was out shopping at Food Lion tonight.  YES....I am one of those people who wait until the last minute! Fortunately my son, Nick came with me.  We had a budget of $140 dollars to get various items we needed.

For the two sweet girls we ran into in the stuffing/baking aisle that were disappointed to discover that there were only two little bags of stuffing mix left. I asked them if they wanted the recipe for my momma's stuffing and they said yes.  They were so pretty and sweet!  I will write down the recipe again in case they come to look.  I am hoping they give it a try. My momma's stuffing is as follows:

5 - 6 loaves of cheap white bread
2 - 3 stalks of celery, chopped
1 large onion, chopped (or 2 medium) (I prefer using just your regular yellow onion, not the sweet or white variety)
butter (I prefer real butter but my momma always used margarine) melted
Ground Sage

Tear the bread up into pieces in a large bowl.  Add your chopped celery and onion and give it a quick stir.  Sprinkle in a large quantity of of sage.  Pour on your first stick of melted butter and stir.  Lean down and take a deep breath.  If you do not get a good fragrance of the sage, ADD MORE.  Don't be afraid! As you add more melted butter, the sage will spread throughout.  The amount of butter you add is dependent on how you like your stuffing.  I like to add extra butter (no surprise there, huh?) so it is good and wet when I stuff it in the bird and put the rest in a dish to bake.  It does not take long to bake, depends on the size of the dish you stick it in.

I hope they get to try it!!  They were awesome.

I will be taking lots of pictures and posting as I go along!  Happy Thanksgiving!!

No comments:

Post a Comment