Saturday, October 20, 2012

The Hobo Dinner

In the midst of my cleaning spree today, I plopped down at the computer to find inspiration for tonight's dinner.  I wanted something quick and easy or at least easy!  I went to one of my favorite recipe sites, allrecipes.com and typed in easy dinner.  This is one of the first recipes that popped up:

The Hobo Dinner

I had most of the ingredients.  The only thing I lacked was the ground chuck (poor Chuck).  I ran down the street (okay...I did not run, I jumped in my Mustang and sped...ummm...I mean slowly drove) to my closest grocery store.  I decided to use the leanest beef I could find since it called for it to NOT be pre-cooked before adding everything else.  I did not follow the recipe exactly.  You know me! I have to put my "Crystal" twist on everything I do. 

(2) pounds of lean ground chuck (poor Chuck)
(2) packets of Lipton Beefy Onion dry soup mix
(5) or (6) medium to large russet potatoes
(1) bag of baby carrotts, peeled and ready to eat
(1) egg
(1) large sweet onion, cut into rings

Mix the ground chuck (poor Chuck) in a bowl with both packets of dry soup mix and the one egg until mixed well.  Form thick, medium size patties and place in the bottom of a roasting pan.  Peel the potatoes and slice like steak fries.  Layer the potatoes on first.  Then add the whole bag of carrots. Next place the onion rings on top.  Cover with aluminum foil and put in a pre-heated 400 degree oven and bake for one hour.

That was perfect for me.  I put it into the oven and went back on my cleaning spree!  After about 45 minutes the house was smelling like Sunday afternoon pot roast!  When the hour was up I carefully removed the roasting pan from the oven and peeled back the foil.  I served it in bowls and fed all my hungry crew.  It was quite tasty.  Even though the dry soup mix added a lot of salt content, it still needed some more.  I think next time I make it, I will probably add some cream of mushroom soup in to flavor it up some more.  It definately would have been great with some fresh sliced mushrooms added to the mix!  I can tell you I will definately be making this again!  I can take no credit for the recipe but I am sure thankful that it was posted on allrecipes.com!


No comments:

Post a Comment