Monday, October 15, 2012

Boss's Day

Boss's Day is on Wednesday but since I know that I have to carry both girls to voice lessons on Tuesday that I will not have time to make anything! I am doing that now.

It is sort of another one of my throw together whatever I have deals.  I am using fillo dough for the first time.  I feel a little intimidated but I think I can do it.  I am going to make cupcake size fillo cups with chopped apples with sugar and cinnamon.

I rolled out the dough and put the first sheet down.  I spread melted butter over that and then continued until I had five layers stacked.  I tried to cut them into a circle using a glass cup and it was a disaster.  Not wanting to use a knife on my new laminate countertops I opted for what I will call "the rustic look".  I ripped it with my hands and put it into the cupcake pan.  It only filled five cups.  I did not want them to dry out so I stopped there and put them in the oven for 12 minutes until golden brown.

After that I am going to fill it with my chopped apple mixture and bake again for a few minutes.  We shall see how it turns out.  I should have thought ahead and bought a real biscuit cutter to use.  Oh well! You will never know until you try, right?

The apple mixture was okay but did not soften up like I would have liked.  I also tried to make a caramel sauce and burned it.  I guess inspiration has failed me tonight.  I let my middle child devour the fillo cupcakes as she said it tasted like apple pie.

Oh well, I guess only a card it is!!  I will try again one day when I have better tools to use! AND follow someone's recipe!!

No comments:

Post a Comment