Saturday, October 13, 2012

Momma's Potato Salad

I made my momma's potato salad for my Sunday School class tomorrow.  It is a bittersweet thing to make.  It was one of my mom's favorite dishes and she made it for all occasions.  It was always present at Thanksgiving.  It makes me sad that my kids dont really like it.  Well...Paulina likes it but that is about it.

She told me to write the recipe down but how do you define taste? There are no measurements just a typical Crystal method of throwing things together in the bowl.  I start with a 5 pound bag russet potatoes.  I peel them, chop them into chunks and boil until slightly tender.  Do not boil until mushy!!  Drain and throw into a bowl with 2 medium or 1 large chopped onion.  Add 1 dozen eggs that have been hardboiled, peeled and chopped (true confession? I never really chop them, I crush them up in my hand right over the bowl...laziness I guess).  Add Duke's mayonaise.  Yes, Duke's.  It is a true Southern treasure and any substitute will mean less taste and quality.  I also add Sauer's yellow mustard and a generous amount of sweet pickle relish.  I add all the above until it tastes like Momma's.  I don't know how to define the right balance of Duke's mayo, mustard and relish.  The eggs are an important componet. 

Oh well, maybe one day when they are missing their mom, they will make it to and remember how it tastes and be successful at it.  I hope so.  I would hate for this simple yet good recipe to fade away with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment