Thursday, October 4, 2012

Cornbread Pot Pie

I FINALLY felt inspired tonight!  I had a big crowd to feed and I knew that I only had enough chicken for five people so I had to make it stretch.  I fried the chicken after dipping it into some flour mixed with my Soul Seasoning and Chipotle chili powder in some extra virgin olive oil.  When it was done I set it aside on a plate.

I took two small boxes of Jiffy cornbread mix and dumped them into a bowl.  I added two eggs and 2/3 cup of milk plus 1/2 a regular size can of white and yellow corn that had been drained.  I mixed it really well and set it aside.

In a 9 x 13 glass pan I put in one can of Campbells Cream of Chicken soup with 1/2 a can of milk and mixed until combined.  I then added a package of frozen corn in a light butter sauce (it was what I had in the freezer and butter only makes things taste better so I figured it would be okay!) and about 1/2 a package of frozen peas.  I also dumped in the rest of the can of corn that I did not use in the cornbread.

I cut the fried chicken into small pieces (I forgot to tell you the only chicken I had was some thinly sliced chicken breast, 5 pieces only).  It actually made a whole lot cut up.  I spread it out over the vegetable/soup mixture.  I then poured the cornbread mixture over the top of the chicken and veggies.  I put it in a 400 degree oven for 30 minutes until the top was golden and it was all bubbly.

It was so delicious! And it was a hit with all eight people I fed!!  There was none left! Of course, I also made some homemade mac and cheese to serve on the side to make sure it stretched far enough! 

I am a happy momma when I can take care of all the people that I love.

No comments:

Post a Comment