Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Bread Pudding (on the fly!)

I must have bought too much emsanada bread (I have no idea if I am spelling it right!) at Angies Filipino Bakery...(Angie's Facebook page)

I decided to make bread pudding.  I love Angie's bread so I knew it would make awesome pudding.  I did not really feel like digging for recipes so I just went in the kitchen and did what I do all the time, just throw stuff together!

(4) cups of Angie's bread, cut into small pieces (not fresh, this really needs stale bread, please forgive me Angie but we had some left over!) (you can really use any bread you want as long as it is not fresh)

(4) cups of 2% milk
(1) stick of real butter

Scald the milk with the butter (don't burn your milk!).  Set aside and add:

(1) cup of sugar and stir well

Break (4) eggs into a large bowl and beat well.  Very slowly stir in the milk/butter mixture, about 1/2 cup at a time so as to temper the eggs and not scramble them.  About halfway through adding the milk, mix in:

(2) teaspoons of apple pie spice (okay, I was lazy, I did not feel like doing the cinnamon and nutmeg separate...I'm tired!)

Add the remaining milk.  Put your bread into a 13 x 9 pan.  Pour your egg/milk mixture over and press down.

Put into a 350 degree oven for about 40 minutes (or until a knife inserted comes out clean)

Meanwhile, I made a vanilla hard sauce to go over it.

I put (1) cup of sugar and (2) tbsp of cornstarch into a pan on medium high heat and gradually stir in (2) cups of water.  Bring to a boil (be careful!) and boil exactly one minute.  Remove from heat and add 1/4 cup of real butter and 2 teaspoons of vanilla and stir until melted/combined.

Serve some of the hard sauce over the bread pudding. YUM!


No comments:

Post a Comment