Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Hog on a Dog

Tonight was another night I did not want to go to the grocery store.  I stepped into the kitchen and do what I do best:  create!  Here is what I started with:
The hot dogs and bacon were in my freezer.  I put them in the sink in hot water to help thaw them out quickly.  The crescent rolls were on hand as well although honestly I would have preferred using canned biscuits.
Fry the bacon until good and crispy.  Remove from pan and drain on a paper towel.  Turn the heat down a few (don't smoke up your kitchen!)

Cut about (8) hot dogs first in half then in half again lengthwise.
Add them to the pan in the bacon grease and fry for just a few minutes to heat through.  Remove to a paper towel to drain.  Open the crescent rolls (preheat oven to 375 degrees) and separate. 
Lay 1/3 of a slice of American cheese lengthwise on the rolled out crescent dough.
Add a slice of hot dog and some of the crispy bacon ontop of the cheese and dough and then roll it all up and place on an ungreased cookie sheet.

Bake in the oven for about 12 - 14 minutes. I actually put them too close together and some of the sides when they expanded stayed a little big doughy.  They need to have room to spread out and turn brown.  Overall it was a little weird but when feeding teenagers, weird can be okay.
I served it with baked beans with my leftover hotdogs and bacon that I did not use.  It is not "Iron Chef" worthy but it did the trick for tonight.  It definately was not a favorite of mine or Breezy but it was fun and creative.  I think I would have liked some barbeque sauce added in before baking.  And please, don't anyone hit me because I used so much bacon and bacon fat.  I was DEFINATELY not going for low calorie!

Are you brave enough to try it?

No comments:

Post a Comment