Friday, March 16, 2012

yummy mushrooms and Texas Pete

I went to the grocery store to get some more Texas Pete (I swear it is what keeps my darling hubby all spicy and sexy!).  As I wandered into the store I went straight to the fresh veggies.  In the mushroom section was an interesting package from Modern Farms Mushroom.  It was a mushroom blend of sliced baby bellas, shitake and oyster mushrooms.

 http://www.modernmush.com/products.html

Honestly I have never had anything except the small white button mushrooms! Who knew the complex and earthy flavors I had been missing out on? They were woody and wonderful.  I was surprised at the aroma of the oyster mushrooms.  I put them in a small saute pan with a stick of REAL butter and got them all warm and yummy.  I used them to pour over my roast I made for dinner tonight.  I had made a quick run to the butcher and picked up a new cut of beef I had never tried.  It was called a beef tip roast.  It was already trussed up by the butcher.  I wasen't sure what to do so I just threw it the oven for a couple of hours.  It was pretty good but it was even better with the mushroom sauce.

I also bought a 3 pound bag of red potatoes and made mash-a-taters with some real butter and milk. I meant to fix some brussel sprouts but got distracted and forgot.  It was definately a meat and potatoes night. 

2 comments:

  1. Oyster mushrooms are AWESOME! Finding them locally near me can sometimes be a challenge when I want to use them, but their flavor is so delicate and earthy - so much better than those white buttons ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found them at Farm Fresh of all places!! They were pretty good. :) And I agree, I feel completely eyes opened by the experience!

      Delete