Sunday, March 11, 2012

Itza meatballs!! (and da sauce!)

I am channeling my Italian grandma tonight.  I am making my own sauce and it goes a little something like this:

2 teaspoons of yellow onion, chopped
2 teaspoons or so of olive oil
Saute for a bit then add:
A couple tablespoons of minced garlic
a tablesppon of real butter
Saute some more!  Then add:
2 cans of Hunts chopped tomatoes and stir well, then add:
Two cans of Hunts tomato paste and stir well
Next:
Two cans of V-8 Juice and stir.
Then I added dried oregano and basil, as much as you like (I am very heavy handed with it as we like the rich flavor but I am sorry, I do not measure!)

While my sauce was simmering I decided to make meatballs. But I have a horrible confession....my budget ran tight and I could not go to my local butcher. so I got my hamburger at the grocery store.  It is not as good as quality as fresh ground from my butcher but it will work for today.  I mixed my hamburger with bread crumbs, crackers, two beaten eggs, salt, pepper, basil, oregano and garlic powder.  I mixed it up well and put my meatballs in the pan to bake.
This is the meatballs as they go into the oven.
This is the finished meatballs...they are very Italian tasting with the oregano and basil...total yum.  I am going to mix these with the sauce and get the pasta going and have a nice dinner.  I love Italian food!

2 comments:

  1. Most of the time, sadly, I end up using ground beef from the refrigerated section of my grocer as well. Although, since I have a meat grinder attachment for my stand mixer, I have been thinking I should grind it myself... Anyway, your meatballs look delicious =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks!!! They were pretty good! Nice to talk to you!

    ReplyDelete