Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Another kitchen adventure with The Crystal Chef!

Tonight was the youth group party.  I was not really sure what to do so I made my first attempt at white chili - truthfully, I was trying to use ingredients that I had on hand without having to go to the grocery store.  Here is what I did:

I soaked one package of baby lima beans overnight and then drained and rinsed them and set them to boil.

I put six boneless chicken thighs in water to boil until done, reserving the broth when they were finished.  Shred the chicken.

Saute one medium yellow onion chopped and four cloves of garlic minced in two tablespoons of olive oil for about 10 minutes until soft.

Add the shredded chicken.

Add the following:

(2) teaspoons of Cumin
(2) teaspoons of dried oregano
(2) teaspoons of red chile flakes
(2) teaspoons of red chile powder
(1) cup of the reserved broth

Stir well and let bubble and cook for another 10 minutes.
Add:

(1) cup of the reserved broth
(1) large can of Old El Paso Enchilada sauce (what? It was in my cabinet and had all the right flavorings without adding a bunch of tomato flavor! Don't judge, I was a desperate woman trying to feed a bunch of people without spending any money!)

Stir.  Check your lima beans to see if they are done.  When they are soft, drain them and add to the chili mixture.  If you need more liquid, add more chicken broth.  Otherwise, let the beans cook in the chili for a while before serving.

That's it! That was my adventure in cooking tonight.  I am not convinced it was spectacular but my husband and children all liked it so I am glad for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment