Sunday, January 1, 2012

Low Calorie?

I was working my way through the cookbook I found at the thrift store yesterday (Patriots Delicious Delights) and came across a recipe called "Tomato Cabbage" by Katie Conrad.  The recipe calls for 1 large head of cabbage, 2 cans of tomato, 1/2 cup of ketchup, 1 stick of margarine, salt and pepper.  So I had my ever-anxious to drive teenager run me up to the grocery store for the few items I did not have.

I chunked up the cabbage and then not only did I add 2 cans of diced tomatoes, I also added a can of Ro-Tel tomatoes.  It is on the stove at the moment.  I do not think I am going to add the margarine.  I want to keep it low-calorie.  I added a squirt of ketchup.  I am letting it simmer on the stove right now....I can't decide if I should add more water or not.  I don't want soggy cabbage but I don't really want raw either.  I just put the lid on and I think I will let it steam up and simmer for a while.


It does not look very appetizing at the moment!! Hopefully it will taste better....I think adding an entire stick of margarine would make this a bad choice for low calorie so I am not going to do it.  I will let you know how it tastes!!

No comments:

Post a Comment