Sunday, January 1, 2012

From low calorie to WOW

I found a second recipe that I just had to try in this Patriots cookbook.  It is called "Apple-Cranberry Casserole" by Susan Chewning.  It calls for 3 cups of raw apple, sliced, 2 cups of fresh raw cranberries, 3/4 cup sugar, 1 stick of butter, 1 cup uncooked oatmeal, 1 1/3 cup of flour, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1/2 cup pecans. 

I used 2 granny smith apples, 1 yellow delicious apple and 1 fiji apple.  I left the peel on and sliced them up thin and layered in a 9 x 13 cake pan.  I could not find my measuring cups so I used a coffee cup and put a whole cup of sugar on top of the apples and cranberries.  I melted two sticks of butter and put a (2) coffee cups of brown sugar, oatmeal and flour in a pan.  Let it get all melted and mixed well.  I spread that over the cranberries and apples and threw it in a 350 degree oven.  I will take a picture when it comes out! It is supposed to bake for an hour!!  That should give me time to get together the dinner I was going to make two nights ago!  It will definately be fried okra and fried chicken tonight!  Its not the traditional new year's menu but it works for us!

PS....just in case you are wondering, I did not add any nuts to this recipe as my oldest child has an aversion to the yummy things....if I want her to eat it, I have to always leave out the nuts!!

No comments:

Post a Comment