Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Cornbread and beans....and a new kidney!!

The most exciting news of all:  My dear friend received the phone call that a kidney was available.  She is in surgery right now! Father, THANK YOU for this but also I pray for the dear family that lost a loved one but was thoughtful enough to donate their family member's kidney. 

Tonight was a lazy night.  It is what I call my "poor man's dinner".  I made a pot of pinto beans with a stick of butter in it. I also made a big pan of cornbread.  My parents had to raise seven children so money was scarce.  We had pinto beans A LOT!  I have always been told you have to soak the beans the night before or you will never be able to cook them.  Not true.  I sorted and washed my beans this morning around 10:00 am.  I put them in a large pot and brought them to a boil, put a lid on it and turned the heat down to low.  They simmered for three hours and then they were fork tender! It was awesome.  I let them simmer the rest of the day and threw in a stick of butter about 30 minutes before we ate them. 

I know that cornbread is a very subjective thing.  People make it so many different ways.  My prefered method is putting an entire can of drained corn in it.  I also throw in a very healthy pinch of sugar.  Other than that, I pretty much follow the recipe on the side of the Jiffy box.  I love my cornbread.  The real corn keeps it nice and moist....oh yeah, and I also melt a stick of butter in the bottom of the pan before pouring in the cornbread batter.  It is sooooo yummy.  I wonder what your favorite way is to make cornbread? Let me know! I would love to hear new ideas!

No comments:

Post a Comment