Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Da sauce!!

After I put my Mega-Meatballs in the oven, I had to make a sauce from scratch.  I confess, I typically use Hunts spaghetti sauce but I was out.  So this is what I threw in my pot:

1/2 stick real butter plus a tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil
1 medium yellow onion, chopped large (I do large chunks so my picky eaters can see them and avoid them)
I sauteed the onion until soft. 

After the onion is soft, I tossed in about 4 cloves of garlic, chopped
(3) cans of Hunt's chopped tomatos
(1) can of Hunt's tomato paste
(2) 16 ounce cans of V-8
chopped basil (dried)
chopped oregano (dried)
red pepper flakes
fresh ground pepper

I added all the above in varying degrees until it tasted right.  To confirm my taste buds, I took a spoonful to my Italian hubby and amazingly enough, he was able to pick out all the ingredients I added! He is so amazing.

I made some angel hair pasta, poured the sauce over, gave them two mega-meatballs a piece and tore up some fresh mozzerella for the top.  Overall, it was a yummy dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment