Friday, December 30, 2011

Heritage....

Sometimes I wonder what has happened to families in America? Very few are actually "americans".  We come from many different countries.  My family, for example, hails from Ireland, Scotland, England and many other countries.  My geneology research has been quite extensive.  Yet, none of our traditions were saved.  There is not one thing that I can point to that we do because we are Irish or Scottish.  We barely have traditions we keep for holidays.

African Americans have Kwanza.  Jewish people have so many things they observe and keep.  What did my my family teach me to keep? There is really nothing I can point to. What have I taught my children to keep? Nothing really.

What traditions shall I embrace? What ways shall I honor my heritage? Is it really important? Do traditions add value to one's life, one's existance?  I am not really sure.

There are things I hold sacred.  These things were imparted to me by my mother and I hope I have imparted them to my children.  They are so important to me that when others do not observe them, I get annoyed.  What are these things?

1.  During the church service, while the pastor is preaching, one should remain seated and quiet, listening to what he is talking about.  This is not the time to get up and go to the bathroom.  My goodness, the service only lasts an hour, bathroom time should wait until after or go before.

2.  During the offertory, it is NOT a time to chat and catch up.  Be reverent.  Be quiet.

3.  During the invitation, this is the most sacred time.  It is time for the Holy Spirit to urge people to accept Jesus.  This is not bathroom time.  This is not time to cut out early so you can get to Red Lobster before everyone else.  Be quiet.  Pray.

These things I have listed are so very sacred to me.  When others do not observe them, I get upset.  My children get sharp reminders from me when they forget, and they seldom do as they have been taught how important these things are to me.

SO....I am not sure what traditions I will keep.  I think 2012 will be a new year and a time to establish new traditions for my family.  I am not sure what they will be yet, but I can assure you that I will share them with you.....

No comments:

Post a Comment