Tuesday, March 15, 2016

The Cookbook Experiment: Pretzel Salad

Last night's cookbook experiment for dessert was "Pretzel Salad" by Mrs. Wilma Eley. I loved her, she always, always, always looked perfect. Perfect hair, perfect makeup, perfect clothes. She was also known for having a perfect front yard! Her husband was an angel. He was one of my heroes of faith. Both of them are. They were beyond faithful to the church and especially the nursery program. I really miss seeing her smile.

Pretzel Salad by Wilma Eley

(1) 6 ounce strawberry jello
(2) 10 ounce packages frozen strawberries
(1) 8 ounce package softened cream cheese
(1) 8 ounce carton Cool Whip
(1) cup sugar
(3/4) cup butter, melted
(2) cups crushed pretzels, small pieces not too fine
(3) tablespoons sugar
(2) cups boiling water

Mix melted butter, pretzels and 3 tablespoons of sugar.  Press pretzel mixture into bottom of 9" x 12" baking pan.  Bake at 350 degrees for 8 to 10 minutes. Cool. Combine cream cheese, sugar and Cool Whip, spread over pretzel mixture. Then combine the Jello in 2 cups boiling water and add frozen strawberries. Pour onto cream cheese layer. Chill and serve. (Very good with chicken or turkey)


My take-a-ways for this recipe:

  • Truthfully, I should have chopped the strawberries. I could not find any chopped strawberries so I used the whole ones. I was too impatient to take the time to chop them. I don't know if thawing them would have made any difference on the recipe. I will have to figure that out the next time I try it.
  • I think I will make double the cream cheese layer next time. I would have really liked more.
  • I used a 9" x 13" cake pan.
  • Make sure you let the pretzel layer cool completely.
  • This was very, very good! I will definitely be making it again!


No comments:

Post a Comment