Tuesday, March 15, 2016

The Cookbook Experiment: Do Nothing Cake

 Tonight's dessert is another one from the Littles family. Mrs. Alverta Littles is one seriously amazing woman. I love her quiet faith and steady hand. She is definitely someone you can believe when she says she is praying for you, you know she is.

Do Nothing Cake by Alverta Littles

(2) cups flour
(2) cups sugar
(2) eggs
(1) teaspoon vanilla
(1) teaspoon soda
(1) teaspoon salt
(1) large can crushed pineapple
(1/3) cup Wesson oil

In a 9" x 13" baking pan mix all cake ingredients.  Bake at 350 degrees for 35 to 40 minutes.

Topping

(1) stick margarine
(1) cup sugar
(1) 5 ounce can milk, evaporated
(1) cup chopped nuts
(1) cup coconut

To make cake topping cook margarine, sugar, milk for 5 minutes over medium heat. Do not burn. Add nuts and coconut, spread over hot cake. Then cool.


My take-a-ways for this recipe:
  • The can of pineapple is 20 ounces.
  • Any vegetable or corn oil is okay for the Wesson oil.
  • Truthfully, I would not have mixed the cake right in the baking pan if I had realized just how much stirring was required. I was constantly in danger of flour/sugar going overboard with how much mixing was required.
  • For the topping I used butter in lieu of margarine...because BUTTER is better in my opinion.
  • Please be very, very careful with the topping. I cooked mine over medium low and timed the five minutes just as it began to boil. This mixture is prone to bubble up (or spit as I call it) on you and could cause a burn. I would not stop stirring once you set the five minute timer.
  • The recipe says to cool.  That did not happen. I cut immediately and it was a little rough. You could tell it needed to cool first.
  • I thought the topping tasted like sweetened condensed milk, a light version, with coconut added in.
  • Thank you Alverta, this was a good dessert for tonight and everyone (except my non-coconut eating oldest child) loved it.

No comments:

Post a Comment