Wednesday, March 30, 2016

The Cookbook Experiment: Caramel Brownies


My middle child and amazing cook Paulina wanted to make something sweet. She chose Mrs. Doreen Lay's Caramel Brownies. I love Doreen. She has the best smile and her sense of humor is wonderful. She is one of my favorite ladies at our church.

I will caution you on this one very important fact: IF you are dieting don't even think about making these because you will NOT be able to stop at one, or two, or even three. They are that amazing!

Caramel Brownies by Doreen Lay

(1) 1 pound box brown sugar
(1 1/2) sticks butter
(3) eggs
(2 2/3) cups flour
(1) teaspoon baking powder
(1) teaspoon salt
(1) package chocolate pieces
(1/2) cup chopped pecans
(1) teaspoon vanilla flavoring

Combine sugar and butter; melt over low heat. Cool. Add 1 egg at a time; beat well. Combine flour, baking powder and salt. Add. Add chocolate pieces, chopped nuts and vanilla; mix well.  Pour into 9" x 12" pan; bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes.  Cut into squares.

My take-a-ways for this recipe:

  • This recipe is made by making REAL caramel....swoon!
  • Paulina used about 1/2 package of a 12 ounce bag of chocolate chips.
  • She did not add pecans because we did not have any in the house.
  • I would recommend eating a piece IMMEDIATELY when it comes out of the oven. It is divine!
  • I thought they tasted best when at least warm so when I went back for another piece (and another, and another) I microwaved it for about 8 seconds to warm it back up.
  • Like I said above, don't make this if you are dieting. It is impossible to resist! Thanks Doreen!

No comments:

Post a Comment