Wednesday, March 30, 2016

The Cookbook Experiment: Breaded and Baked Eggplant

One of tonight's cookbook experiments was Mrs. Lona Martin's Breaded and Baked Eggplant. Lona is an amazing women and one of a trio of sisters that attends our church. They are a force to be reckoned with! All of them are just so dang awesome. I love them.

Breaded and Baked Eggplant by Lona Martin

Olive oil cooking spray
(2) eggs
(2) cups Italian seasoned bread crumbs
(1) large eggplant

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly coat a large baking sheet with cooking spray. Whisk eggs in wide, shallow bowl and set aside.  Place the bread crumbs in a similar bowl set next to the eggs.  Trim the ends off the eggplant, then use a vegetable peeler to remove the skin. Cut the eggplant into 1/2 inch slices. Use a fork to dredge each slice through the egg, then through the bread crumbs, flipping to evenly coat both sides.  Arrange the slices in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet.  Spritz the eggplant slices with cooking spray, then bake for 20 minutes. Use a spatula to flip the slices and bake another 20 minutes, or until both sides are just crisp and slightly browned.

My take-a-ways for this recipe:

  • I have always been kind of intimidated by eggplant. I have no idea why I am letting some big purple bulbous veggie make me nervous!
  • I was not really sure what to expect with this recipe as I think I have only had eggplant one other time.
  • I only used one cup of bread crumbs. I would say start with one and then add more if needed. I did not need more because my eggplant was not too big.
  • This turned out really well even though I used regular cooking spray. I don't think I have ever bought olive oil spray.
  • My husband (the Italian) said I did not cut them thick enough. He said he would have preferred them to be thicker. I did not even know he liked eggplant! Learned something new about my amazing man.
  • I would like to make this again and put it on top of a bed of rich spaghetti and sauce.
  • Thanks Lona! This was easy and delicious and gave me a lot of ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment