Sunday, August 9, 2015

Quick Alfredo Sauce

I know that this sauce is kind of simple. I mostly am blogging about it to preserve it for my kids when I am gone so that they know how to make it. If you have ever bought Alfredo sauce at the grocery store, this one will put it to shame. The best part about it is that it only takes about 15 minutes.

Please, for the sake of all things sacred, DO NOT use the green shake bottle of shelf-stable Parmesan cheese. That's just gross. If you decide to do that I would urge you to stop now and just buy a jar of Alfredo sauce. Call me a cheese snob (which I admit) but it just will not taste as wonderful.  My favorite Parmesan cheese comes from the fine folks at Sartori.

I know, if you have read any of my previous posts, you will already know that I think this is just the best ever. Why mess with perfection?

Here is what you need:

(1) stick of REAL butter (equals 1/2 cup) - please do not use margarine...just no.
(2) cups (or 1 pint) of heavy whipping cream
(1 1/2) cups of Sartori Grated Parmesan cheese
(1/2) teaspoon Fresh grated nutmeg (yep, I do not use a shake bottle of nutmeg that has been sitting around in my cabinet for centuries getting dull)

On medium-low heat, melt butter in a saucepan. Quick tip: I cut my butter up into slices to help it melt faster. When butter is melted, add the whipping cream. Whisk to combine well. Next add all your grated Parmesan cheese. Whisk to combine.

I cooked this on the stove top and stirred very frequently. You don't have to stir non-stop but don't neglect it. Keep stirring and checking until you can put a spoon it, take it out, and then draw a line down the middle of the spoon with your finger and the lines do not join back together. Be careful, this will most likely be hot.All total it takes about 15 minutes. Don't worry about it being too loose as it will thicken up as it cools.

That's it....how is that for easy? Pour it over pasta, chicken or whatever! I am convinced you will not go back to store-bought Alfredo sauce ever again.


No comments:

Post a Comment