Saturday, August 15, 2015

Chicken Marsala done the Crystal Chef way

The challenge was actually to use the Parrano cheese BEFORE eating it all. Challenge accepted. I had not made my Chicken Marsala in years so I decided this would be the perfect time to roll that recipe back out. It is one that I have not added to the list  and it needs to be here for my children so they know how to make it when I am gone.
My ingredient list started with the following items from the grocery store:
1 wedge of Parrano Originale Cheese
1 package of Parma Prosciutto Di Parma
1 package of thinly sliced chicken breasts (tonight I am only using 3)
8 ounces of sliced button mushrooms
1 good bottle of Marsala wine

If you can't find Parrano in your area, you can go here:

It starts with my homemade seasoning mix. In a teacup I add the following:
1 - tablespoon of black pepper
1 - tablespoon of onion powder
2 - tablespoons of salt
2 - tablespoons of garlic powder
1 - tablespoon of dried leaf oregano
1 - tablespoon of cayenne
1/8 - tablespoon of chipotle chili powder
Mix well.
Add one heaping teaspoon to 1/2 cup of flour and combine well.

Heat approximately 3 tablespoons of olive oil on medium high in a skillet until very hot but not smoking and then add 3 tablespoons of butter.

Dredge three pieces of thin sliced boneless chicken breast in the flour mixture and place in the hot skillet (be careful as it may pop). Cook approximately three minutes each side until golden brown on  then transfer to a plate.

Add three more tablespoons of butter to the pan and then add the 8 ounces of chopped mushrooms. Cook, stirring frequently until the mushrooms are golden brown and have given off their liquid.

Add 1 cup of a GOOD Marsala wine. Trust me on this one. If you use a cheap one, it will taste cheap. The one I used was imported straight from Italy...hey, I'm Italian! What did you expect? Bring the Marsala wine to a boil, scraping the bottom to remove any browned yummy bits. Let this continue until it has reduced by half.

Next add 1 cup of chicken stock. Cook for about three more minutes until the sauce starts to thicken up. Lower your heat and settle your chicken back into the skillet. Spoon a bit of the sauce of the chicken. Next is the FUN part. Turn down the heat to medium low.
Open your package of Citterio prosciutto di parma and lay about one half of a slice on top of each piece of chicken. Next slice your Parrano Originale cheese and put two generous pieces on top of each piece of chicken.

Add two more tablespoons of butter to the sauce. As it melts, swirl it around in the sauce. Continue to spoon some of the sauce around and on top of your chicken. This will help melt the cheese and enhance the flavor of the the prosciutto.
Now, I know, I should have made a side of pasta or some smashed potatoes to go with it. I chose asparagus because it cooked itself in the oven. My meat and potato man was not very amused with me but I had not made this in so long I wanted to focus on getting it right. He survived. I put the leftover sauce in a container in the fridge. It was so good I could seriously just drink it. I might just do that tomorrow for lunch....with the leftover Parrono cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment