Sunday, March 31, 2013

Traditions?

I honestly cannot remember any Easter traditions that my family did when I was growing up except for going to church service.  I do miss the "old days" when we would have Easter Sunrise services at 6:00 in the morning! Those were glorious services....they were always held outside.  The grass was wet with the morning dew, the folding metal chairs were cold, everyone was wearing jeans and their jackets, deacons had their baseball caps on, the sun was just beginning to peek up over the horizon.  There is something special about singing "Up from the grave He arose" as the sun makes its appearance in the sky!

I don't remember if my mother fixed anything specific for Easter dinner.  Our standard special on Sunday was pot roast.  I loved my mother's pot roast.  I have NO idea how she could afford to do it.  It can be so expensive these days.  The only holiday I truly remember what she made was Thanksgiving.

I guess I was yearning for that tradition yesterday as impulsively I purchased a large turkey that was on sale at Wal-Mart.  I put it in the oven before we left for church this morning.  I made my mother's stuffing recipe, mashed potatoes, corn, peas and carrots and deviled eggs.  I completely forgot to do any gravy or bread.  Sort of an epic fail but it was good.

I rounded that hearty meal with a nice afternoon nap with my sweetie.  It was a good day overall.  And the most important thing to remember about today? The celebration of our Savior's Resurrection.

Just as I was getting ready to close this post I suddenly remembered one Easter tradition.  My mother would keep a big white box in the garage with Easter hats and gloves.  Each year she would pull that box out and dress up my sisters and I.  This is a picture I found of it.  I am not in this picture as it was taken before I or my baby brother was born.  The oldest woman in the picture is my grandmother, Cora.

No comments:

Post a Comment