Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Scratch cake and allergies....

It is Wednesday! Youth group meeting night at church.  I made it home from work with about 2 1/2 hours to spare before leaving for prayer service.  I figured that would give me just enough time to get a dessert going and to make dinner!

I don't buy pre-mix cake mixes very often.  It seems like a waste of money when making a cake from scratch is just as easy.  I dove into my trusty "The Good Housekeeping Cookbook" copyright 2001 by Hearst Communications Inc.  It is one that I like to use a lot. Page 652 is a recipe simply titled "Yellow Cake"  It only has 8 ingredients (not including the frosting).  I mixed this up and decided to add some green food coloring since it is March!

While I am whipping this together I am talking on the phone to a sweet friend whose kids also go to youth group with mine.  She asks me what kind of frosting.  Obviously, my immediate answer is "chocolate".  HMM...she says.  He can't have chocolate.  So I switch it up to straight vanilla buttercream.  And I am happy to do it.  I am already aware we have a peanut allergy in our youth group so I make sure I never send anything with peanut butter.  I was very happy to be able to accommodate this allergy as well.

I didn't really think about it too hard until I actually started making the frosting.  I have never made buttercream without a splash of milk in it.  I confess, I like to use milk when I make my buttercream.  Tonight was a first.  My buttercream was strictly butter, powdered sugar, vanilla and green food coloring.  I used extra butter and extra vanilla.  I think it turned out pretty good.  It must have, as the pan came home completely empty!  And of course, there was that text message from my daughter.  The young man told her to tell me "I was the best".  That made my whole evening!  I am glad I could do that because I don't ever want anyone to be left out on goodies!

Something has just occurred to me.  Typically I cannot bake when I am sad.  It always flops.  I am sad but the cake and frosting did not flop.  And I know why.  I was talking to my sweet friend.  She and I are both going through a deep valley and we are both learning to "be still".  Her love and concern carried me while I was trying to show care and concern for her and for my kids at youth group.  Is it any wonder the Bible tells us:

not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as is the manner of some, but exhorting one another,and so much the more as you see the Day approaching." Hebrews 10:25 NKJV


Makes sense to me! Thanks for your love sister! You know who you are!!  I really don't know how people make it without a church family? I know that I cannot.







No comments:

Post a Comment