Saturday, August 4, 2012

Casseroles!!! HELP!

I need easy casserole ideas! I am making a week's worth of food for a co-worker who recently lost his dear wife.  They were married for 30 years and then one morning he woke up and she didn't.  They have a 17 year old son who has some special needs.  Understandibly, he is devastated.  He came back to work after two weeks but it is apparent he is not taking care of himself.  He is losing weight really fast.  I am hoping by sending him home with some food made with love it will help.

I have three ideas already.  I am making him my mother's famous chicken, cheese and noodle casserole.  It is rich and comforting and easy. It has very few ingredients, mostly just the egg noodles, sliced american cheese, boiled chicken, and cream of chicken soup mixed with a can of milk.  My kids have grown up on this just like I did.

The second item I am making is beef and bean enchiladas.  I am sort of winging this one as I don't have a hard and fast recipe.  I made some really good ground beef (got it from a REAL butcher, not the grocery store) and mixed it with taco seasoning.....OKAY, I must tell you this, my confession:  when you first open the taco seasoning, it smells like a man's sweaty armpit....so gross! How it ends up tasting good is nothing short of a miracle! (Yes, I know, I am weird!)

The third item will be meatballs in a good Italian tomato sauce.  I can't decide if I want it to be spaghetti or not.  I am not sure if I put the sketti noodles in and then freeze if they will hold up or not? Will they go mush or be okay? Oh boy, I am not sure what to do!!

I need two more ideas!! It's got to be freezable and its got to be yummy.  I am going to be scouring the blogs and recipe sites. Hopefully I can come up with something!!!

2 comments:

  1. What a great way to help provide support for your co-worker - I'm sure he will certainly appreciate it. I know lasagna freezes well (I do this a lot myself) and it's pretty easy to make a yummy lasagna. Another easy comfort food that freezes well is chili - just freeze off the cooled chili in quart containers...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are sooo right! And I make a pretty good chili! :) Thank you! One of these days we need to have lunch!! It is so exciting that I have someone here in VB that is as talented as you!! I would love for you to see the new kitchen!! :)

      Delete