Monday, April 23, 2012

Chicken Fried Rice!

So tonight's dinner went in the opposite of last night's heavy (and heavenly) gravy and Salisbury steak.  Tonight was the very first time I ever made chicken fried rice.  Here is how it started:
(1) large sweet onion, chopped
(1) store-bought oven roasted chicken, shredded (it was lemon pepper roasted)
(1 1/2) cups of frozen sugar snap peas and carrots
(1) bunch of scallions, chopped
(3) chopped and smashed cloves of fresh garlic
(1) small drained can of bamboo shoots
(4) large white mushrooms sliced

So into a very large skillet, I put 1 tbsp of veggie oil and started browning up the chicken a little.  Next, I added the entire bowl of chopped sweet onion and sauteed for a while.

Next, added the smashed garlic and sprinkled in some soy sauce and a little bit more oil.

Then the bamboo shoots, carrots and snap peas

I added the mushrooms.  I let it all saute on the stove until the carrots and snap peas were good and warm (they were frozen) and the mushrooms had wilted.

I dumped all the ingredients into a large bowl.

Added another drizzle of oil and added six eggs, beaten, into the pan
Stirred the eggs non stop until they were nice and fluffy and then tossed them into the bowl with the chicken and veggies.

Added more oil (about 1/4 cup) to the pan and dumped in my cold, cooked rice.  Broke up the rice and stirred to coat with oil, patted it down and let it cook for a while, to heat through and crisp up a little.  Stirred again and let cook some more.  Added the chopped scallions and stirred well.

Dumped it all in a big bowl and mixed in the chicken, egg, & veggies and looked like this:

I had to use my EXTRA large serving dish....accidentally made enough to feed an army.  It was tasty!  I needed to have used different rice, this was just regular white rice....I guess since it was not as hard as I thought it was going to be, I will get some Jasmine rice next time maybe? The family loved it.  I served it with some lumpia I got at the butcher that I fried while I made the rice!

1 comment:

  1. Stir-frys are awesome because you can chuck pretty much anything into them and really clean out the fridge. I'm not a huge rice fan, but I love fried rice with egg and veggies, especially topped with a little soy sauce...

    ReplyDelete