Sunday, February 26, 2012

My soup is growing and changing.....

So I am making some soup for a friend who is going through a rough time.  It started out to be ordinary chicken soup but it is changing fast.  Here is what I have done so far:

Melted a stick of butter and softened up one good size yellow onion and about 6 minced cloves of garlic.  I then added three good size boneless chicken thighs that had been well salted and peppered.  I let them saute in the butter mixture for a while.

Next I added two cans of chicken broth.  A few cups of water too.  I let that boil until the chicken was falling apart and done.

Next was the addition of about two cups of baby carrots.  Then I added about four peeled and chopped russet potatoes and some rough chopped cabbage.  I tasted the broth and was not too happy. 

Next I added a can of Hunt's chopped tomatoes (they are my favorite because they are flash steamed to peel not chemical treated) and one can of Hunt's tomato paste.  I sprinkled in some dried basil., and oregano.  NOW it smells good! I have to let this simmer awhile to let the potatoes finish cooking and then I think I will be able to quit adding things to it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment