Friday, February 10, 2012

Baked Potato Soup

Tonight was an easy supper night.  I made my bacon, cheddar and baked potato soup.  It was way easier than it sounds.  Earlier in the day I put about six russet potatoes in the oven to bake.  When they were done, I put them in a bowl on my counter to cool down.  They don't fall apart so easy when you cut them up after they are cooled.

One pound of bacon, fried in the bottom of my large soup pot
Drain bacon on paper towels and reserve drippings in a bowl for later
One can of chicken broth (14.5 ounces)
1/2 gallon of whole milk
4 cups shredded extra sharp cheddar
4 tablespoons of butter
4 tablespoons of flour
1 - 2 drops of Texas Pete
Freshly ground pepper

Cube the baked potatos.  Pour the chicken broth into the large soup pot.  Add the cubed potatos (I leave the skins on, they taste better that way, just make sure to wash your taters before putting them in the oven to roast).  Add 3/4th's of the while milk.  Have the temperature set on medium (you don't want it to high as to not scald the milk).  Crumble the bacon and put in the soup.

In a separate saucepan melt the butter over medium-low heat.  Once melted add the flour to form a roux.  Cook until a blonde color.  Slowly add the remaining milk to the roux and stir well.  When combined, pour the roux into the soup.  This will help thicken the soup.

Liberally add freshly ground pepper.  Add 2 cups of the shredded cheddar and stir.  Add 1-2 drops of Texas Pete.  Stir and let simmer.  Taste and check for your preference of cheese in the soup.  Add more shredded cheese if desired.  I typically always add 4 cups of shredded cheese as my family loves it really cheesy.

I often use the reserved bacon fat to saute some fresh chopped onion.  I serve the onion on the side as not all of my family likes it in their soup.  I also put extra shredded cheese on the table (all though it already has four cups in it!!!) for my cheese heads!

I hope you like it! We love it and often make it with leftover baked potatoes from a different dinner.  Tonight since we had company over, I made baking powder biscuits to go with it.  I love having company!

No comments:

Post a Comment