Saturday, January 14, 2012

Iron Chef America

I watched a re-run of "Iron Chef America" tonight.  Michael Symon got his butt kicked by a friend of his, another Italian chef, Marc Vetri.  I was completely fascinated by the secret ingredient, veal.  And it was not just cuts of veal, but the WHOLE thing.  It took two chefs to carry it over to the table.

Veal is a mystery meat to me.  I have never had it before.  I have had a dish at some snotty restaurant called lamb.  I don't believe that is the same thing.  Alton Brown said that this veal was very young, grass fed and never caged so it was all tender.  It was a little gross to hear the bones crunching when the chefs were butchering it up.

Throughout the episode, all kinds of interesting applications were used.  Michael Symon even paired the veal with some raw Ahi tuna.  Chef Vetri made a couple of pasta dishes. They all looked really good.

So my question is, is veal something that the "common man" could fix? Or should it be relegated to fancy restaurants only?  I am going to have to check with my local butcher and see if he gets any in that is fresh.  I am very curious to know what it tastes like.  I wonder if it will be "gamey" like the lamb tasted to me in that fancy restaurant?  I am also very curious to try the bone marrow roasted in the oven.  It sounds gross to me but looks so delicious!  I am definately going to need some inspiration and guidance! I will have to take a look at my favorite expensive restaurant for some help.  I will keep you updated on my quest for marrow and veal!!

No comments:

Post a Comment