Tuesday, November 13, 2018

The Cookbook Experiment: Beef A Roni

Hello! Another recipe from the church cookbook. This one was submitted by Mary Grode who is the mother of Judy Mastros. Great families, all of them!

I was looking for a fast dinner tonight and as I poured through the cookbook this one jumped out at me.



Beef A Roni by Mary Grode

1 pound ground beef
1 cup Elbow macaroni
1/2  onion, minced
1/2 green pepper, chopped
1 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1-15 ounce can tomato sauce
1 cup water
2 - 3 tsp. Worcestershire sauce

Cook ground beef. Stir in macaroni, onion, green pepper, salt and pepper; cook stirring until macaroni is transparent.  Add tomato sauce, water and Worcestershire sauce and cover. Simmer 20 minutes. Stir then let stand 5 minutes with heat off.







My take-aways from this recipe:

  1. I could not wrap my head around adding the macaroni at the stage it said in the recipe so I did not. I boiled my macaroni noodles separately.
  2. I increased the amount of sauce and noodles because I have a house full to feed.
  3. I also used ground turkey in lieu of hamburger because we have someone in the family who is allergic to red meat.
  4. It was really good however I am going to talk to the daughter of the recipe writer and see if the macaroni really goes in before being cooked.
  5. I really wanted to add cheese to this...blame the Italian in me.
Until tomorrow!! Take care.




No comments:

Post a Comment