Monday, February 27, 2017

Simple Fish Tacos with Corn and Tomato Salsa by My Fitness Pal blog

Still no church cookbook but I am continuing my quest to make exceptionally healthy and fulfilling meals for my family and stay at 400 calories or less. I'm really enjoying the adventure of cooking in new ways. Tonight's recipe was found after hitting Google up for "Recipes with 400 calories or less".

Google led me to the Fitness Pal blog and "14 Filling Dinners - 400 calories or less". The recipe that caught my eye was the Fish Tacos. Truthfully I have always been afraid of cooking fish. I was never taught how and it seems pretty intimidating to me.

You can find the recipe right here:

Simple Fish Tacos with Corn & Tomato Salsa

I decided to use Tilapia instead of Mahi-Mahi. I also decided to get a frozen bag instead of buying it fresh. I'm not really sure how to buy fresh fish so frozen worked for me. I was in a little bit of a rush at the store and missed a few ingredients. One important one was the coriander for the rub/sauce that went on the fish before it was baked. I ended up using more cumin in place and it worked. I did learn something new: coriander is basically dried cilantro.

When I made the corn and tomato salsa the recipe said to cut the grape tomatoes in half. I did not like how large that left the tomatoes so I cut most of them into thirds. I also forgot to purchase the shallot so I used green onions in place of the shallot.  It was very good.

First bite of the taco was amazing! I loved it and it tasted better than any I have ever had in a restaurant. Yeah, I know, I made them but it was wonderful. I baked the tilapia and it turned out perfect. I will definitely make this again!

No comments:

Post a Comment