Saturday, April 2, 2016

The Cookbook Experiment: Hawaiian Surprise Cake

Tonight's dessert cookbook experiment is a cake from Mr. Dick John. He has a lot of recipes in this book and so far I have liked them all.This was no exception.

Hawaiian Surprise Cake by Dick John

(1) package yellow cake mix with pudding
(1/2) cup oil
(4) eggs
(1) small can mandarin oranges, undrained

Beat cake mix, oil, eggs and oranges for 2 minutes.  Bake in a 9" x 13" pan in a 350 degree oven for 30 to 40 minutes. Let cool

Frosting:

(1) 8 ounce container of Cool Whip
(2 1/2) cups well drained, crushed pineapple
(1) small box instant vanilla pudding mix

Mix all together with a spoon.  Spread over cooled cake.  Decorate with flaked coconut and orange slices.  Refrigerate.  Serves 12.

My (and Paulina's) take-a-way for this recipe:

  • I made the cake portion. I did not have a cake that had pudding in the mix so I just used a standard yellow cake mix.
  • I did not have a small can of mandarin oranges. I did have the large can and went ahead and used it all without any noticeable difference. 
  • Paulina made the frosting. She states and I agree that a homemade whipped topping using heavy whipping cream. 
  • Paulina added some strawberries to the top of hers.  

No comments:

Post a Comment