Wednesday, March 2, 2016

The Cookbook Experiment: Tuna Noodle Supreme

Tonight's dinner experiment came about because I was not feeling well enough to go to the store. I took stock of everything in the freezer, cabinet and fridge and then consulted the cookbook. The recipe that came the closest to the ingredients on hand was "Tuna Noodle Supreme" by Pat Hannas. Now, I have to confess I don't think I have ever met Pat but I have met and know Riley Hannas. He is a young man about the age of my son. They know each other from school and church youth group.

Tuna Noodle Supreme by Pat Hannas

(4 1/2) cups of wide egg noodles
(1) 12 ounce can Tuna, drained
(1) cup Sour cream and mayonnaise
(1/2) cup grated Parmesan cheese
(1/2) cup milk
(1) teaspoon Dijon mustard
(2) cups broccoli, cut up
(1/3) cup red bell pepper
(1/4) cup green onions, sliced
Salt and Pepper to taste

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Cook pasta according to directions. Meanwhile, in a large bowl stir together sour cream, mayonnaise, Parmesan cheese, milk and mustard. Salt and pepper to taste. Add hot pasta, tuna, broccoli, red peppers and green onion. Stir until blended. Place tuna mixture in a baking dish. Cover and bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until bubbly. Serves 6

My take-a-ways for this recipe:

  • I did not have egg noodles and I was not going to the store. I used elbow macaroni.
  • I have never seen a 12 ounce can of tuna. I used to 5 ounce cans of Albacore (my husband only likes Albacore so that is what I have on hand)
  • Please don't use cheap Parmesan, even though this is a tuna recipe. Just don't.
  • I was not sure if the recipe meant a cup of each sour cream and mayo or 1/2 of each mixed together. It's not clear. I only used half of each and it turned out to dry after it was baked. I guess it means (1) cup of each. Lesson learned.
  • I used what I had and that was (1) 14 ounce bag of frozen broccoli. Should it have been fresh broccoli? It does not say. I cooked my broccoli in the microwave according to package directions first before I used it.
  • I had about (1/2) cup of Parmesan leftover in the bag and figured it was not enough to use for anything else so I sprinkled it all over the top of the casserole before I put it in the oven.
  • I did not have any green onions. I used some fire-roasted peppers and onions that I had in the freezer. 
  • I did not have any Dijon mustard. I used some sweet and spicy mustard. It tasted good to me!
  • The husband and son and I enjoyed it for the most part. My hubs said it probably would have been better with the egg noodles. I think he is right. BUT the best part about trying this recipe was that I did not have to go to the store.
Thanks Pat for the easy recipe!! I appreciate not having to go to the store. I guess I altered the recipe quite a bit but it got me through feeding everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment