Friday, February 26, 2016

The Cookbook Experiment: Raspberry Brownies

Tonight's round was dessert. I was too tired to make dinner as my right shoulder is in agony from my doctor's appointment today. I looked through the cookbook for something sweet and yummy to make. So many choices! From pies to cakes to brownies to cookies, I looked through them all.

The winning recipe comes from one of the sweetest ladies at church, Mrs. Lenedia Paschal. She is darling. Her recipe is called Raspberry Brownies. I was totally intrigued by the use of raspberry tea bags and chocolate! I was excited that I had all of the ingredients on hand. I just happen to be a Celestial Seasoning Raspberry Zinger tea addict.

Raspberry Brownies by Lenedia Paschal

(1/2) cup water
(6) raspberry tea bags
(10) ounces chocolate chips
(1 1/2) sticks of margarine
(4) eggs
(1/2) cup brown sugar
(1/2) cup white sugar
(1/2) cup flour
(1/2) cup walnut pieces

Grease and flour a 9 x 15 baking pan. Place water in saucepan, heat to simmer and add tea bags and let cool.  Remove bags squeezing out liquid, reserve liquid.  Melt chocolate chips and margarine in a double boiler.  Mix eggs and sugar together until well blended.  Add tea mixture, then chocolate mixture and flour mixing until smooth.  Pour in pan and bake at 350 degrees about 25 minutes. Center will feel firm but still moist.


My take-a-ways for this recipe for your consideration:

  • (1) stick of margarine is equal to approximately 4 ounces. I decided to use Kerrygold Irish butter in lieu of margarine. I am a butter snob, I admit it. There is no better butter than the perfectly fine Kerrygold. (must be my Irish genes coming out!)
  • I used Ghiradelli chocolate because well...Ghiradelli!
  • Please keep in mind when you add the hot melted butter that you temper it with the eggs so you don't scramble your eggs. (Just add a small amount of the hot chocolate mixture to combine to bring it up to temperature and then slowly add the rest)
  • Mrs. Paschal, you are a genius! I was worried that with only (1/2) cup of flour that there was NO WAY this was going to work. I am happy to report I was wrong and you are amazing.
  • MAKE THESE BROWNIES!!! They are incredibly delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment