Friday, November 29, 2013

Fresh Cranberry Sauce

I have never been a fan of the cranberry sauce that comes in a can.  This Thanksgiving I decided to make my own. Here is my quick and easy recipe for a delicious cranberry compote that requires almost no maintenance at all!


(1) 12 ounce bag of fresh cranberries, rinsed well
(1) half cup of water
(1) cup of sugar
The zest of one orange and the juice (at least 3 tablespoons)
Dash of nutmeg

Bring all the above to a boil over medium high heat in a saucepan on the stove and then lower heat to a simmer until cranberries pop and soften, about 15 to 20 minutes.  Taste for sweetness. Depending on cranberries will depend on if you need to add sugar. It's up to you! Sometimes I add more sugar if they are too tart, sometimes they are just right! Yesterday I ended up adding 1/2 cup more sugar as they were extra tart.  As the sauce cools, it will thicken and "jell" up all by itself.  It makes a wonderful addition to any dinner, Thanksgiving or not!

No comments:

Post a Comment