Saturday, August 31, 2013

Fresh Butter Beans!

We went to the local Farmer's Market today for something to make for dinner.  It was a hot and busy day with lots of people shopping for fresh produce.  Today's list included Red Delicious apples, russet potatoes, locally grown onions, butter beans,  Vy's Pies , and to see if the quilt lady they advertised about was really my sweet friend Pauline.  I got lucky on so many counts.

Now for the confession:  I do not like Lima beans or butter beans.  Really and truly.  The real reason I picked up the butter beans today was for my daughter Paulina who loves them.  Neither she nor I had ever eaten them fresh.  The amazing revelation is that fresh butter beans taste NOTHING like the canned or dry ones.  They were amazing.  They were so good that my oldest daughter (who never eats anything green) loved them!

It all started with a small bushel of locally grown, fresh butter beans. I dumped them in the strainer and rinsed  well to get off all the little leaves and dirt.
Into the pan they went with just enough water to cover and some salt for flavor. They boiled for thirty minutes.  I drained them and added some butter (you really are not surprised, are you?) and stirred well so the butter melted.

The butter beans were wonderful! Needless to say, there were no leftovers. I am amazed that she and I both loved them.  A new favorite bean to our menu!!

The proof is in the picture. Billieanne....actually eating something green. I love my beautiful daughters.

No comments:

Post a Comment