Monday, May 6, 2013

Crack Sticks (recipe from Shabby Chicks)

This recipe kept popping up all over Facebook and I just had to try them!  All the credit and the original recipe is located here:

Shabby Chicks

I was completely mystified how on these would taste good...it was the smooshed white bread that was throwing me!! I decided the only way to know for sure was to try them!

Here are the ingredients:

(1) loaf of thin sliced white sandwich bread
(1) 8 ounce box of cream cheese
(3/4) cup confectioner's sugar
(1) cup sugar
(1-1/2) teaspoon ground cinnamon
(3/4) cup butter, melted

Remove crusts from bread.  Flatten bread with a rolling pin.


In a bowl combine cream cheese and confectioners' sugar.
In another bowl, combine sugar and cinnamon, set aside.
Spread about 1 tablespoon of cheese mixture on each slice of bread.

Roll up, jelly roll style.
Dip in melted butter.
Roll in the cinnamon sugar.
Place on an ungreased baking sheet and bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
Yield:  approximately 16 roll-ups.  Good warm or cold. (But I would not know about the cold because they did not make it that far!)

This was an awesome recipe and I would LOVE to know how it came to be! I have visions of a desperate housewife needing a dessert in a hurry! I am sure she was very smart!

2 comments:

  1. I've made this super fabulous dessert twice now and would love to know how you make it in less than five hours...I guess I'm just super slow getting all those tasks done but by the time I was halfway thru, my melted butter was starting to get cold. So yummy that I had a hard time sharing with anyone but because of how much time of my night it took up I decided that unless I get a helper, I won't be making this again anytime soon. Glad to see your recipe for croutons since I felt guilty having all those leftover crusts...I did set them aside in a can to use for bread crumbs next time I made meatloaf but it must have been the wrong kind of can cuz they turned all green and furry in just a matter of days so I had to throw them out...

    ReplyDelete
  2. My secret? I cut all the crusts first, flatten the bread next. Do that first and it goes faster . :) That is the only thing I can think of that I did to make it go fast. Of course, I bribed a teenager to do that labor!!!

    ReplyDelete