Monday, April 9, 2012

Comfort food

This past Easter Sunday was tough for me.  I won't go into all the reasons, it just was.

So tonight, standing in the kitchen making dinner, I decide to make an old family recipe.  Did this recipe originate with my family? Probably not.  Nevertheless, it is an old favorite of many members of the Gillespie clan.  It is called Tuna Macaroni Salad. 

I start with half a large sweet onion and chop it up, and toss it into the bottom of a rather large bowl.  Next I drain two small cans of water-packed tuna and add to the onion.  Then in goes three very large tablespoons of sweet pickle relish.
In the meantime, hard boil some eggs.  I usually add about six chopped up hard boiled eggs to this mixture.  Also boil at least a pound and a half to two pounds of shell shaped macaroni.  When the macaroni is done, drain and drop on top of the above mixture.  Chop eggs and add.  Then add mustard and Duke's mayo to desired creaminess and taste.  Some days I like a lot of mayo and only a little mustard.  Other days I like a lot of mustard and not much mayo.  One day (I think I was pregnant) I skipped both mayo and mustard and used 1000 Island dressing! My sister in law also adds cubes of cheddar cheese.  I never do that because tuna and cheese just freaks me out.

I am waiting now on my eggs.  On smart days when I am not sad, I typically plan ahead and have my eggs ready.  Not today.  Oh! And be sure not to boil your macaroni too soft.  You definately need "al-dente" for this recipe.

It must be my mood....I was heavy handed on the mayo and mustard and just added three more large tablespoons of relish.
It is yummy and comforting.....enjoy (dont forget salt and pepper!)

1 comment:

  1. Sorry to hear it was a sad Easter for you - and I hope the sadness is replaced by happiness soon. And it amazes me how many different versions of tuna salad I've seen, but you're right, I don't think I would add cheddar with tuna salad. Although, I have had a tuna/cheddar grilled cheese sandwich which was mighty tasty, so not sure ;)

    ReplyDelete