Monday, January 23, 2012

Denny's Restaurant.....and God?

After about two hours of shopping at two amazing guitar stores, my hubs took me to Denny's for dinner.  The restaurant was fairly empty.  We sat in a booth and both ordered up Denny's new Western Skillet.  It was quite conceivably enough food for four people on one skillet! Breezy and I both did not get past more than a 1/4 of it.

While we were eating, a group of five young adults came in and sat at a round table behind our booth.  They were pretty typical college age kids, between 19 and 24.  I doubt a single one of them was older than 24.  Their talk mostly centered around the fact that they had been unable to purchase guns tonight.  One young man complained to the other why they were going out on Monday and not a weekend.  The fellow said he works on Saturdays and on Sundays he has to go to church because he is a youth leader. 

Honestly, from the conversation at the table I would have never guessed that any of them ever darkened a church doorway.  Many expletives were bandied about as casually as you or I may use the word "the".  Food was ordered and drinks were delivered.  The original young man who complained about it being Monday night extended his hands to his friends and timidly said, "should we go ahead and pray before the food gets here?"  He was rebuffed by all his friends and he acquiesed.  The young man who was a youth leader stated "I pray over every meal on the weekend, I don't need to do it right now".

So....his God is only for Sundays? What if I were one of the parents of the teenagers he was a youth leader for? Would he be embarrased? Is this modern day Christianity? The convenient kind? The kind where God is only for when I want him and not for everyday, all day, anytime, anywhere? And as I pondered this question, the Spirit gently turned that question inward.....do I put God in a box when I don't want him around? Furthermore, where would I end up without God's Grace?  I am 100% certain that God would never shove me in a box until he was ready to deal with me.  I am 100% certain that I have been guilty of doing just that.

As we were about to leave the restaurant, my husband spoke to the group, had them laughing.  And since "contact" had been initiated, I told the one young man I was proud of him for offering to pray before their meal.  They laughed it off with him telling his friends they were all going to hell for not praying.  I pray they know that there are REAL consequences for putting God aside.  I pray that the church they go to, that someone there will open their eyes.  Brandon Heath said it best when he asked God "Give me your eyes for just one second"  God help me to be ever mindful and let me see through Your eyes....

No comments:

Post a Comment